7 Terrible but Essential Facts You Must Know About Dust Mites and 3 Ways to Stop Them
- If you often wake up with congestion, a runny nose, watery eyes, itching, or sneezing, then you are probably allergic to dust mites.
- Your bed is the perfect environment for dust mites; they love to burrow into fabric and feast on your dead skin cells. Humans shed one to three pounds of skin a year, plenty of food for millions of dust mites.
- Depending on its age, your mattress may house between one million and ten million dust mites.
- During its 80-day lifespan, the average dust mite produces about 1,000 allergen waste particles.
- A gram (about a half teaspoon) of dust contains as many as 1,000 dust mites and 250,000 allergenic dust mite fecal pellets.
- The weight of the average mattress doubles after ten years due to dust mite infestation, and the weight of the average pillow increases 10% after one year.
- Dust mite populations peak during the hot, humid months of July and August.
3 ways to STOP them:
- Vacuum your mattress and pillow regularly, specifically using HEPA filtration
- Lower the humidity level in your bedroom below 50%
- Steam clean your mattress at least once a year to remove up to 99% of dust mite population